Founded by son John D. Brunk as an unrestricted fund.
J. Milton Brunk was originally from Indiana, and his wife Elsie was from Iowa. Mr. Brunk followed his brother Nieman to western Maryland, bringing the couple to the area. In Maryland, the Brunk brothers started working for Baer Brothers in Hagerstown, learning about the produce business. In 1935, the brothers followed their ambitions and bought out Baer’s operations in Frederick and established the Frederick Produce Company to supply local corner stores with fresh produce. This small company grew into a full line food services and goods distributor. In memory of both J. Milton and Elsie Brunk, their son, John D. Brunk, established The J. Milton Brunk Memorial Endownment Fund to support charitable community endeavors.